The knowledge of every part of the acoustic guitar will be very helpful when you buy or play the guitar, or in case you need to repair/replace a certain part during use. And of course, a deeper understanding of the guitar will give you more excitement to play the guitar better, take advantage of the pros and avoid the cons.
Let’s read this guide about What are the best effects of acoustic guitar pedals? to understand the use of basic effect pedals, known as the indispensable effects of the acoustic guitar player.
What is acoustic guitar effects?
Effects of acoustic guitar pedals are a device to adjust the sound effects of electric guitars, bass guitars, and acoustic guitars.
For example, when playing, the player wants to change the sound, create different sounds for an ordinary acoustic guitar.
Types of common Effects of acoustic guitar pedals
There are many ways to classify Effects of acoustic guitar pedals, by function, group or principle of operation. But the fastest and most easily understood way to classify them by function is Multi-Effect Pedal with many effects, and Compact Pedal or Stompbox with fewer effects.
Most of the Multi-Effect uses Digital technology, especially the effects of Digitech. However, many people do not like Digital in music, because the signal at the output of Effect is greatly changed due to the use of digital technology.
Although this helps guitar players to integrate many functions on a pedalboard. Choosing to buy and use an effect pedal is always one of the problems that an acoustic guitar player must learn.
For some new players, choosing between Stompbox Pedal/single effects pedal and Multi-effects pedal sometimes will cause certain difficulties.
So what is the most reasonable choice? We will take a look at some of the advantages and limitations of each type of effect to know what are the best effects pedals for acoustic guitar?
Stompbox Pedal/single effects pedal
Single effects pedal is generally defined as a device with very simple features, usually only from 1 to at most 3 different functions. Structure of Single effects pedal is also often small, has about 1 -3 buttons/pedal (footswitch) to switch functions.
And the most important point of the Stompbox pedal is how to use it. The pedal must be plugged after the guitar and before the amplifier, it means that it must use the same amplifier, not any other device.
* Note: There will be many people who wonder that there are still many people using single effects pedal with Multi-effects pedal. You can learn more about Multi-effects pedal in the later section, but general speaking, Multi-effects pedal is also an amplifier simulator, so Single effects pedal in front of Multi-effects pedal also considered as in front of the amplifier.
- The main groups of single effects pedal are:
- Dynamic: includes types such as volume, compressor, this group affects the volume of the guitar signal.
- Overdrive / Distortion: This is the most important type, it works to “distort” or “break” the guitar sound, so the sound will be louder.
- FX (effects): effects include types such as delay, reverb, chorus, tremolo.
- Other types: tuning, line selector, wah, and noise reduction.
- Pros and cons of single effects pedal:
- The biggest advantage of single effects pedal is the dedicated characteristic. Every single effect will take on a very specific function in your guitar.
- The disadvantage of single effects pedal also comes from its advantage, that is, from its specificity. We may need many single effects pedal for many different applications. This causes ambiguity when connecting, is cumbersome when moving and takes great costs.
Multi-effects pedal often has at least 2 features, its structure is generally much larger than the single effect pedal with many push buttons (footswitch) to change the function. For use, depending on the type of Multi-effects pedal can be used with or without an amplifier.
- Several types of Multi-effects pedal
– Multi-effect: is a device that integrates many single effects pedals, which is no different from many single effects combined in a fixed order. Therefore, this type must be used with an amplifier.
– Simulations: Simulations are also multi-effect but integrated with amplifier function. Therefore, it facilitates the player can use without an amplifier to record and perform.
- Pros/cons of Multi-effects pedal
– Its biggest pros are its usability because Multi-effects pedal is integrated many functions into one device.
– However, the cons of the Multi-effects pedal also come from that advantage. Because of that integration, it can sometimes cause problems such as: if you don’t like a function in the keyboard, or a function is broken, you can’t replace it as easily.
That’s all about “What are the best effects of acoustic guitar pedals?”. Hopefully, you will find the most suitable effect pedal for your acoustic guitar. Stay tuned for the next blog post.
Thanks for reading.